IDM is one of the most popular download managers out there. One feature that has been missing the eye of everyone is limiting speeds for select files. Follow this guide and you can prioritize downloads easily.
When to use Speed Limiter?
You might wonder why you need to limit speeds of specific downloads. Here are some of the top reasons:
1. Prioritizing one or more downloads by restricting the download speed of the others ones which are currently running
2. You are downloading from a server which doesn’t support resuming. You want to keep it running but not slow you down.
3. Evenly distributing bandwidth among downloads so that all parts of a file, or multiple files finish downloading at the same time.
How to use Speed Limiter on specific downloads?
Although Speed limiter is a good feature, many users do not know how to use it to its full extent. They just restrict the speeds of all their downloads together.
The true functionality of the Speed Limiter is realized when it can be used to limit speeds for specific downloads. Here’s how you can do it.
1. Open IDM and go to Tools –> Speed Limiter –> Settings
2. Set the restricted download speed by entering a value (in KB) in the “Maximum download speed for one file” text box.
3. Under Speed Limiter settings for individual downloads, put a tick mark on both the check boxes that are found below:
- Show “Use Speed Limiter” checkbox on “Download Progress” dialog
- Remember user-made exceptions on “Download Progress” dialogs for using Speed Limiter Independently whether the global Speed Limiter is turned on or off.
The second option will ensure that the speeds are restricted for select files, even if the global Speed Limiter is turned off.
5. Repeat Step 4 for all downloads for you wish to restrict speed. Then, go to IDM main window and see how the speed is limited only for the files which are selected.
Now, based on the limit you set in the Settings page, your download speeds will be restricted. When running several downloads in parallel, this should be very useful.
If you set the global speed limiter on, then all the downloads will be restricted to a certain speed. This can be done by doing the following
Tools –> Speed Limiter –> Turn on
Hope this post was useful to all you download junkies out there.
Share it with your friends and let them know what you have just learnt.